[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Getting there -- bootstrapping OpenSRF Client problem

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 13:20:24 EST 2006

<!--/me snips a few KB here and there ;)-->

> > Also, unless you updated the packages from the recent Debian or Ubuntu
> > documentation or from a fresh install of your own, as opposed to the
> > generic "Perl Modules" page, you most likely missed plenty of
> > dependencies.  Dan Scott and Don McMorris have (quite thankfully!)
> > done a lot of work fleshing out the installation docs, having gone
> > through it completely now.

Thanks for the credit Mike! I appreciate it.

> Ahh, OK, so they've got it installed now? Cool!

I don't have it installed quite yet.  I think the last time I tried
the install was pre-Beta.  I might work on it again soon, depending on
how things in other areas go.
Following the instructions in the Wiki exactly, I got a near working
install.  I did run into some problems at that stage, as the progress
was so swift that documentation became outdated almost daily.  This
list helped greatly though, and V1.0 should mean that newer deps/etc.
shouldn't come out as quickly (hopefully the documentation could be
relevant for about 2 days now ;) ).

> > We want to make EG easy for anyone to install, and maybe we can start
> > by releasing the images/tarballs that PINES uses for its environment.
> > While not part of EG proper, it might simplify things for similar
> > environments.  For the time being these bundles may not be (and, for
> > some situations, provably aren't) the best way to accomplish the "easy
> > install" goal.

Agreed.  Ease of Install would be nice.

> What about creating a Debian Etch package for EG? One of the problematic
> parts of CPAN bundles is that they don't handle upstream non-perl
> dependencies (obviously), whereas a Debian package could. I'd be willing
> to devote some resources to this in the coming weeks if everyone thinks
> it'd be a good direction.

I think Evergreen is still updated a little bit too quickly to have
static packages.  However, something I would like to see is an
Installation Toolkit (the "Fir Installation Toolkit", or FIT, in
sticking with the pine-tree names ;)).  This would be a series of
scripts that downloads the current code, checks and updates deps, and
does a good amount of the configuration based on user input.  Updater
scripts may also be helpful that update the core of Evergreen on
occasion.

There are also a couple things at the Software Bounties pages
(http://www.open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=sofware_bounties), such
as:
-> Move current process to GNU Build tools (Automake/Autoconf)
-> A PROCESS for creating bootable LiveCD ("process" emphasis added by me)
-> Help with OpenNCIP (http://www.openncip.org)
Not on that list (but mentioned here some weeks back as I recall) was
the building of a VMWare image of Evergreen.

> > We want to release early and often, but we only want to release working
> > code.

WorkingCode(tm) is an excellent thing to see ;)

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Joshua Ferraro                       SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
> President, Technology       migration, training, maintenance, support
> LibLime                                Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
> jmf at liblime.com |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS

Thanks for the help Josh! Cheers to you also.

--Don McMorris