[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Getting there -- bootstrapping OpenSRF Client problem

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 18:32:44 EST 2006

<!--/me snips again... for those not fortunate enough to have gMail ;)-->
> No problem, just trying to be helpful here.
Your help is greatly appreciated! It's just at this time it's not
quite appropriate to have any static packages, as the product
(although 1.0) is still evolving rapidly w/significant changes
happening daily.

> I should mention that LibLime has devoted some resources to hiring an
> Automake/Autoconf expert and would be glad to assist in the process of
> creating a formalized plan for how to package/deploy using standard GNU
> practices.
Lets see what Mike's plan entails first.  After that's posted, I'm
sure the community will have many suggestions/changes for it, and I'm
sure your experience will prove most helpful in this step.

> One concern I have, expressed by others as well, is that while the
> project's documentation can obviously be user-contributed, there's
> currently no way for developers to contribute code with revision control
> without forking the repository. Are there plans to start a project
> repository at a third-party host (I'd recommend Savannah), maybe even
> upgrading from CVS to SVN?
Being an "outsider", this is just pure speculation... My thinking is
that CVS will stay "in-house" for a while.  This allows slightly more
lax security, and as such more freedom for the developers dedicated to
it.  The 5 people working 8 hours a day (plus volunteer time) on
virtually nothing but Evergreen need to use systems' they are most
comfortable with.  When changes start slowing down (V2.2 I would
guess), I would imagine more community involvement would be encouraged
(including outside CVS or SVN check-ins).

For now, submissions should be sent to this (open-ils-dev) list for
PINES to (potentially) integrate into the Evergreen product.

> LibLime has a few contributions we'd like to make to the project in the
> coming months, including:
>
> 1. Automake/Autoconf
> 2. A Z39.50 Server
> 3. NCIP Support (in addition to SIP2)
This will be appreciated very much! For now, I think the best way is
to either post to this list (open-ils-dev) the details, or post a link
to a URL with details.  One of theGuys(tm) should link it up, check it
in, and commit it for you (assuming it works, doesn't break anything,
etc.).

> Any thoughts on how best to handle revision control of the project as
> a development community forms around Evergreen?
In the future (My guess: Late 2007/Early 2008), Evergreen will be
"complete", and it will more-or-less be turned over to the community.
There will, of course, be lots of support from theGuys(tm), but
community involvement would likely become a significant portion of the
products' evolution.

> Cheers,

And to you also.

> --
> Joshua Ferraro                       SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
> President, Technology       migration, training, maintenance, support
> LibLime                                Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
> jmf at liblime.com |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS

--Don