[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Getting there -- bootstrapping OpenSRF Client problem

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sun Dec 17 02:11:13 EST 2006

----- Don McMorris <don.mcmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm used to smaller communities too, and it took me a while to adjust
> to the politics/procedures of this project.  However, given all the
> variables and present situations, I think this way is the best.  As
> has been said by me, Mike, and others, Community support is invited
> and appreciated! All that is asked is that you prove yourself by
> submitting (to this mailing list) your contributions.  If you "prove
> yourself" (I hate the term, but it's appropriate) frequently
> submitting fairly significant, non-trivial contribs, you may be
> granted access to the Internal CVS to commit.
I was mainly just fishing for the answer to the question 'how will
the core EG developers handle code contributions?'. The answer just
informs what LibLime's (and any other contributor's) development
environment's going to look like (ie, we all need _some_ revision
control system, @open-ils.org, or not ).

I completely grok the need to 'prove oneself' on a complex project like
EG and I'm definitely not complaining about it (though I personally
will have to get used to a different development workflow). Ultimately,
it's up to the core GPLS team to decide how best to handle contributions.
I'm also fine with maintaining a LibLime EG version control system (as
I'm sure GPLS does for production EG).

So, my goal in the coming weeks is to reach some conclusions about
how best to refine the installation process and get started implementing
them (eagerly anticipating Mike's document ;-) ). I'd also like to get
a discussion going about implementing a Z39.50 Server -- I'll give
some thought to that and start a new thread.

>From the looks of things, we'll also be setting up revision control
on our local EG installations and it will likely be SVN rather than
CVS (rename, delete, move anything in the repo; CVS commands still
work, just s/cvs/svn/; easy to import into svn ... hint, hint your
lives will be sooo much easier if you switch :-) ).
(SVN would also make the process of merging repositories much less
painful ... as it is, there could potentially be a lot of overhead
just doing merges upstream and downstream ...)

Cheers,