SPAM: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Getting there -- bootstrapping OpenSRF Client problem

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Sun Dec 17 12:09:26 EST 2006

At 4:55 AM -0500 12/17/06, Mike Rylander wrote:
>If I'm misunderstanding your intended use for a "local repository"
>(entirely possible, since you haven't stated why it's necessary) and
>you're talking about direct development effort as opposed to customer
>customizations, then, well, I still don't get why you need this.  I
>mean (in a nutshell), you submit a proposal for everyone to comment
>on, get feedback, check out the code, develop against it and then
>submit the patch.

I believe Joshua is suggesting that the 'develop against it' step,
for any significant project such as some he has envisioned (which he
has indeed mentioned at least to name them, but not outlined in any
detail), requires local access to version control in order to do that
development. This makes sense to me; I don't like to develop more
than a couple hundred lines at most without version control (I'm not
saying I don't do it, just that I don't like it!).

[In large open source projects that do not give all developers commit
rights, do developers generally NOT have their own local revision
control?  That would surprise me, but I've never participated in such
a project, so maybe I'm confused.]

Figuring out how to work collaboratively on this kind of project is a
new thing for many of us that we aren't sure how to navigate. I can't
speak for Joshua, but it's new for me and it's unclear to me how
these sorts of things work. It wasn't obvious to me that "submit a
proposal for everyone to comment on; get feedback" was a necessary
set of first steps to 'develop against it', when I had an idea for
something I wanted to add to the codebase.

I would like to see you two somehow on the same page, I'm not sure
why you keep ending up on different trains (Ah, mixed metaphors). I
think you are both well intentioned.

I think we all need to be less sure of what's "obvious" about how a
collaborative distributed development process (like I think everyone
wants to EG to turn into) works---I'm not sure every such project
works the same (I'm honestly not sure, because I'm new to
collaborative open source development), but I am sure that everyone
doesn't seem to be on the same page with how this process should
work. I think both Joshua and Mike are assuming the other party
shares some of their basic assumptions about how this kind of
development works, that the other party does not in fact share.  This
doesn't mean either one is necessarily 'right' or 'wrong', although
perhaps EG gets to _choose_ how it should work for this project., in
the end.

I would like to see this developing rift between Mike and Joshua
repaired instead of deepened, because it would be good for all of us.
What is really at the root of what's going on?  Let's talk about
what's actually going on---Mike, are you intending to say "Hey, we're
actually really not READY for you to be doing the kind of development
you are talking about, and would prefer that you NOT start it yet."
Because I think that's what Joshua is picking up, intended or not by
you,  and reacting defensively to.  Even though we're computer geeks,
we're allowed to talk about our, um, 'emotional reaction'.   What _I_
see (perhaps completely incorrect) is the EG team feeling
uncomfortable about loss of control of their project with Joshua
threatening to do things without coordination; and Joshua feeling
like he's being excluded from meaningful participation with
unreasonable barriers, but also being a bit too prematurely
aggressive in making sure everyone knows he's not going to be
stopped.   I think maybe you actually need to talk about the
underlying dynamics in order to solve it, not just pretend that it's
all about technical disagreements.  I would, again, like to see an
understanding reached, and I don't think it's impossible, although it
soon will be if you both continue going on as you both have and turn
into lifelong enemies (unless you already are due to some past
history I don't know about, in which case it's probably a lost cause.
:) ).

I also think that Joshua going into some detail about the first such
project(s) he envisions would help get people on the same page on the
technical end, then people can talk about the social/organizational
processes appropriate/necessary for Joshua to get started on those
projects he envisions.

Jonathan