[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Getting there -- bootstrapping OpenSRF Client problem

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 00:16:03 EST 2006

<< Snip like major dude ;) >>
> Right, and I did see the wishes for autoconf / automake on the
> software bounty list.  Seems like the right direction to go, both for
> checking prereqs and for propagating config settings into the
> corresponding config files.

Absolutely! Making Evergreen as simple as possible to install and
maintain would give it a large advantage. I'm sure we're all familiar
with the common conception of Open-Source, which is that free OSS can
be difficult to maintain, and as such expensive for support.

I personally think that Evergreen is the best ILS for OSS, and the
best for 0-cost ILS, in terms of features and end-user
interfaces/functions (PAC and Staff Client).  Making the install
extremely simple and maintenance fairly trivial would make it nearly
the best for even pay ILS's too.

> Once I get through the Evergreen 1.0
> VMWare image, I'll be happy to try helping with that bounty item.

Beautiful! I *really* can't wait for that.  I attempted to start
making an install in VMWare Workstation for working on Evergreen a
little, but didn't get too far (got lazy during the Linux install).
I'll be anxiously waiting for an image.

Thanks!
--Don