[OPEN-ILS-DEV] system design diagrams

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:08:14 EDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Grace Liu <gyliu86 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike and Bill,
>
> In order to have a better understanding on Evergreen system, I would like to
> study on the following stuff if possible: 1) diagrams for Evergreen system
> architecture; 2) E-R diagram for databases; and 3) flowcharts for each
> module. Can you send them to me? Thank you very much.

1)  We're building some better descriptive documentation for OpenSRF
right now.  There are a couple overview images at

  * http://open-ils.org/documentation/OpenILS_Structural_Overview.png
  * http://open-ils.org/documentation/OpenSRF_Server_Architecture.jpg

and some basic info on the wiki at

  * http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=osrf-devel:user_s_guide

particularly in chapters 1 and 8, and in the appendices.  I'll update
here when there is more published (soon-ish).

2)  We've put up a generated ERD here

  * http://open-ils.org/documentation/evergreen_1.1.3_erd.html

which was generated using pg_autodoc from a live 1.1.3 installation.
Said tool can also generate UML diagrams in dot, dia and neato format,
which can be transformed into images and PostScript or PDF documents.

3) We have some dataflow diagrams somewhere, but I can't locate them
presently.  This is something that we should probably start over with,
but time being what it is...

Hope that helps, and as always, we'd love contributions to any of the above.

mrylander at gmail.com
GPLS -- PINES Development
Database Developer
http://open-ils.org