[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Which Distribution will be the most complete?

Shane Sammons shane.sammons at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:57:40 EDT 2007

Hi!
I am new, and this may be a more general question for now. However, I have
been though Perl and CPAN with Koha to no avail. With it I have tried their
recommended Debian and tried Ubuntu. I want to know what distribution has
been the best for Evergreen to get a working install up. Your documentation
page lists Source, Debian (with notes about Testing and Unstable being
used). RH/Fedora doesn't have much listed. Ubuntu warns it is not a complete
set of instruction to get a working server.

So I ask, which route would be the best. I do not care about the
distribution, I just care about getting a working system. So far my failures
have been with Perl and its dependencies. Often CPAN fails with
Makefile.PLon things like ZOOM. I am hopeful this list can assist me
when I get to such
errors. However, most documentation seems to skip over the Perl/CPAN stuff.
I assume because its seems beyond the scope, but at least a mention of
dependencies that caused a work around and what it is would be great.

Hopefully, that can be done if I can get assistance thought this list and
perhaps document what was done to get a working system here.

Just a note: I will be doing the initial install on windows system running
Virtual PC with 256MB ram 20Gb space allowed. However, my end goal is after
testing there to install on an old Celron 400 with 512MB Ram and a 20Gb hard
drive.

I currently have Debian Sarge 3.something and the latest 4.0_r0 (both
netinst). I also have Ubuntu 6.06, 6.10, and 6.06 server, and 6.10 server.
So I can easily use any of those distributions. I have no problems using
Fedora or anything else either.

Thanks!
--Shane