[OPEN-ILS-DEV] diving into ACQ and OFBiz

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Fri Aug 3 16:12:09 EDT 2007

I've had the chance to spend some time with OFBiz lately.  My first goal was
to try to make some sense of the massive set of machinery that is OFBiz.
It's vast and powerful and a lot to consume.

I built a proof-of-concept mini-pac at
http://acq.open-ils.org:8080/bibsearch/.  I created it as a new application,
much like the "accounting", "ecommerce", etc. applications.  The idea was to
create the most basic top-to-bottom application for learning and
experimentation purposes.  It's built with Freemarker templates, Beanshell
scripts, and the opensrf/openils Java libs.  For those of you who have shell
access to the acq.open-ils.org machine, all of the bits and pieces are in
[1].  The only top-level change is the addition of [2] to [3].

If you try to use it, about the only searches that have results are "harry
potter" and "water" -- those are items I manually added via Z3950.

It's very basic and brittle.

The next step is to add authentication and permssions control to the pac so
I can wrap my brain around that.

More to come...

-bill

ps.  Art, et al., I'm developing on my own ofbiz/opentaps instance, changes
to Art's install won't affect me any.

[1] /home/artunit/src/ofbiz/opentaps-1.0.0/applications/bibsearch/*
[2] <load-component component-location="${ofbiz.home
}/applications/bibsearch"/>
[3] /home/artunit/src/ofbiz/opentaps-1.0.0/applications/component-load.xml

--
Bill Erickson
Equinox Software, Inc.
erickson at esilibrary.com