[OPEN-ILS-DEV] woodchip configuration management

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Mon Aug 27 10:44:45 EDT 2007

On 8/27/07, Ed Summers <ehs at pobox.com> wrote:

> Just a quick update to let you know what I learned on the ofbiz and
> opentaps discussion lists about how people manage their applications
> with revision control while retaining the ability to upgrade easily to
> the latest/greatest ofbiz code.
>
> It seems that the general consensus [1,2] is to bundle customizations
> as an 'application' in ofbiz/applications. We can keep this code in
> the woodchip subversion repository. When building the application(s)
> can be checked out from svn, tested and then installed into an
> existing ofbiz/opentaps instance. Presumably the component-load.xml
> will need a bit of a tweak as well so that the application is loaded.
> I imagine we can start out automating this with an ant build.xml and
> move on from there to maven or something more fancy only if necessary.

Cool.  That makes sense to me.

In the cases when modifying the core framework is absolutely necessary
> the lead developers for ofbiz and opentaps encourage:
>
> - using existing ofbiz override and extension mechanisms (examples of
> which are in  the exampleext component and the ecomclone webapp)
> - committing changes back to the ofbiz project

Are we considering editing built-in XML config files "modifying the core
framework"?  With my experiments thus far, those are the only changes I've
had to make to existing components.

Those changes are made to replace the LoginWorker code.   Hmm...  I'll do
some poking around and see if there is an existing mechanism for overriding
that (that doesn't involve editing the component XML files).  I doubt there
is, though, since the class name itself is hard-coded in the XML files...

-bill

--
Bill Erickson
Equinox Software, Inc.