[OPEN-ILS-DEV] staring down the barrel of opensrf 1.0

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 11:29:05 EST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 11:10 AM, Bill Erickson <erickson at esilibrary.com> wrote:

> OpenSRF 0.9 has been out for a while and much work has gone into OpenSRF
> trunk (message-level locale support, new JSON parsers and hinted objects
> format, to name a few).  I believe time for 1.0 is approaching...
>
> However, I'd like to propose we complete the following before it's released:
>
> * Add Makefile support for (optionally) installing the Java and Python libs
> * Add locale support to the Java and Python libs
> * Testing.. specifically with the locale code
>
> Am I missing anything?

One more thing (for those that care about the technical details) is
Scott McKellar's recent available object pool patch.  This should
provide some serious gains for both the OpenSRF Router and the cstore
Evergreen app.  My plan is to apply the original patch with some
additional logging to track the pool usage.  After collecting some
real-world profiling we can decide if any limits should be placed on
the pool/cache and what the most reasonable method for that should be.

For those not following along in IRC, there will also be a Python
prototype of the OpenSRF-over-HTTP translator in the 1.0 release.
This will make the browser a first-class OpenSRF client and should
make integration with other projects much simpler, should anyone
decided to do so.