[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Debian version/GCC version

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 14:02:12 EST 2007

Hi Grace:
Sorry for not being available when you IM'd.

On 2/18/07, Grace Liu <gyliu86 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Bill. So, you are using Gentoo, not using Debian Sarge or Etch. I
> just want to keep the same environment with yours so that I can set up the
> system and maybe do some development on it.
>
> But I am confused as in the documentation wiki on openils.org. It mentioned
> "Install has been tested on Debian Testing and Unstable. Stable was missing
> a few packages that were needed. It can probably be done but there will be
> some extra software to install manually."
> (http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_prerequisites_on_debian)
> and "This is a work in progress, I don't actually have Open-ILS running on
> Gentoo yet"
> (http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_prerequisites_on_gentoo)

Apologies for the confusion Grace.  PINES uses (and develops against)
Gentoo.  The Debian build was attempted (I forget by whom though), and
the Wiki information is just copy-and-paste of what he did.

> Then, I need more information on the environment:
> 1) Linux version (Gentoo? Debian?, linux kernel 2.6.16? /2.6.19?)
> 2) Apache2 version
> 3) PostgreSQL version
I believe success has been greatest in Gentoo w/a 2.6.x kernel.
Apache 2.0.x was used for a while, but Bill did say in a fairly recent
e-mail to the list saying they're starting to utilize some of the 2.2
features (he'll write back to clarify what's best I'm sure).

> I want to install all apache2 and postgreSQL using package/binary (much
> easier and faster) according to the documentation wiki on openils.org, . Any
> problem or concern with this method?
Most of the work has been done from source, but binaries should be
doable.  I don't anticipate any problems with Postgres as Binary, but
Miker can verify this (I think he's the DB guru...).
As far as Apache, you should be able to load modules like you've
attempted, but I think it's preferred to have the stuff compiled in.
Bill should comment.

> Also, if possible, could send me following files your are using now(I just
> want to config the system correctly and easily):
> 1) evergreen_vhost.conf
> 2) evergreen_vhost_ssl.conf
> 3) opensrf_core.xml
> 4) openils.xml
> 5) opensrf.xml
Bill said something about putting these in CVS.  Not sure if it's done yet...

> By the way, in your CVS repository
> (http://open-ils.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/), there is a tar
> file. Every time, you commit to the CVS, do you also make a tar file using
> the new committed files?
If we're thinking of the same one, I think the viewcvs script
generates this tar on-the-fly when you request it.  Because the public
CVS is updated hourly from the internal one, it is technically
possible for a tar you download to be different than that somebody
else downloads an hour later.

> Too many questions, but I really need your help.
No problem at all Grace! We look forward to working with you and being
able to help each-other out.  If you have IRC capability, consider
checking into #GAPINES on the freenode network (it's not terribly
active, but replies may be slightly quicker).

--Don