SPAM: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Debian version/GCC version

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 19:56:58 EST 2007

On 2/19/07, Bill Erickson <billserickson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/19/07, Grace Liu < gyliu86 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Bill,
> > >
> > > I think the different CPUs between us might cause this difference. Mine
> is 32 bit and yours are 64 bit. For my machine, an integer is 32 bit, thus
> for 64 bit data type, I should clearly let compiler know, so it is off64_t.
> But your machine, an integer is 64bit, the off_t is already 64bit and no
> need to define the __USE_LARGEFILE64. I think maybe it is the reason why we
> have difference. But this error message is annoying although I made it
> disappear as I changed the apr file, not use configuration settings, and
> hope this does not cause other problem.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Grace
> > >

> > Ahhh.. For some reason, I thought you were also using a 64 bit machine.
> I'm not sure why, though. :)  I'll be installing Evergreen on a 32bit
> (laptop, no less) this week so I'll get a chance to test this.  If nothing
> else, we can just add __USE_LARGEFILE64 to the makefile.
>
> The guys here [1] suggest using pkg-config to find the apr build flags.
> E.g.:
>
> % pkg-config --cflags apr-1
>
> -DLINUX=2 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE
> -I/usr/include/apr- 1.0
>
> We could just add pkg-config as a dependency and add the `pkg-config
> --cflags apr-1` to the makefile when necessary.

I don't like that at all.  This is exactly the job that
autoconf/automake are meant for, and adding YAD that won't work on
many, if not most, systems sounds like a BadIdea(tm).   For now, I
think we should have 'make' pull in any CFLAGS environment vars and
specify that _LARGEFILE64_SOURCE is required on 32 bit machines.

Thoughts?

mrylander at gmail.com
GPLS -- PINES Development
Database Developer