[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Startup problem with OpenSRF settings listener

Bill Erickson billserickson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 11:53:55 EST 2007

On 12/31/06, Don McMorris <don.mcmorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI Eric,
>
> On 12/31/06, Eric Lesage <lesagee at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > Hi Bill,
> Just FYI: I believe Bill is on vacation still (I want to say he's due
> back at PINES on 1/8/07, but I'm not sure).
>

> > On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Bill Erickson wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> place.)
> > >

> > > Right, exactly.
> >
> > Here was the culprit, in ejabberd.cfg:
> >    %% Define the maximum number of time a single user is allowed to
> connect:
> >    {max_user_sessions, 10}.
> >
> > With all the drones and listeners registering resources on the same
> 'ils'
> > user, the first sessions would get replaced by those which came later.
> > I've increased the number of sessions to 100, and it works. Tested using
> > the srfsh math benchmark too.
> >
> Good Catch! I made a little blurb in the wiki  (
> http://www.open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=editing_config_files )
> about this, but I'm not sure what the suggested max is (of course, it
> will depend on how heavily Evergreen will be used and some other
> factors).

Very nice catch.  Previous versions of Ejabberd either didn't have or didn't
support this option, so it was never encountered and documented on the
wiki.  100 is a good number for a single-machine install.  When we update
Ejabberd on the production servers, I'll probably bump that up to 2k to be
extra safe.

> > So, I believe the XMPP layer, with both ejabberd and chopchop working,
> is
> > solved. As for wildfire, I'm not too interested in it anyway.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I'm still working on this. A few gotchas up to now:
> >
> > - Just a nitpick: the evergreen 1.0.1 tar.bz2 file on the web page seems
> > to be a plain (uncompressed) tar file.
> >
> > - I have found no indication in the docs that there should be a <IDL>
> > stanza in openils.xml pointing to fm_IDL.xml. Most openils servers won't
> > work without it (nor will scripts called from autogen.sh).
> >
> I'm sure Bill will understand this better than I (as I am far from
> even proficient in XML), and will add a blurb in the openils.xml
> config in CVS and/or on the wiki (
> http://www.open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=openils.xml ).

I updated the CVS version of openils.xml.example (HEAD and rel_1_0) with
this and a pile of other updates and changes.

> - The pw field for the Pg driver cannot be blank: dbi will complain
> > and refuse to connect().
> >
> I'm sure somebody will add a comment to the config file sample in the
> CVS tree (somebody who has the ability anyway ;))
>
> > - The dependency for the perl Email::Send package (used by circ) is
> > unlisted (afaict).
> Added (http://www.open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=perl_modules).

Thanks, Don.

--