[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Discussion on bulk loan procedures/options/suggestions to outreach "patrons"

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 14:10:01 EST 2007

On 1/3/07, David J. Fiander <djfiander at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> David J. Fiander wrote:
> > Assuming mom takes her three kids to the library every two weeks, and
> > the kids sign out 3 books each on mom's card, then that's 12
> > transactions/month.  It will only take two years to get over 200
> > transactions on mom's account.
> >
> > Now, two years isn't exactly "quite a while", but it's certainly long
> > enough for the problem to be dealt with before it becomes a problem.
>
> OK, I said "three kids", but I meant (obviously from the math) "two kids".
>   If somebody does have three kids (which used to be far more common than
> it is today), then that's 18 transactions/month, or over 200 transactions
> in one year.

I'm pretty sure that 200 isn't too much of a problem, at least not
like 2k, though Bill may feel different.  Luckily, the idea of a
"billable transaction server" that can push all of this closer to the
DB (thus making it super-fast) should take much less than a year.  :)

BTW, I'm still waiting to here from end-users about my in-house use
based solution ... I'll update the list as soon as I do.

mrylander at gmail.com
GPLS -- PINES Development
Database Developer
http://open-ils.org