[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Gentoo/portage tree for evergreen

Eric Lesage lesagee at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Jan 8 03:43:59 EST 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Mike Rylander wrote:

> There should be a couple patches in CVS for libdbi, actually.  Bill?

Well I don't know that you have any. But the compilation problem I was
experiencing was a local snafu. In any case, thanks for the info.

I've put up a new version (20070108) of the tree at the same address:
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~lesagee/openils

The main changes since the first version:

- Using the osrf_ctl.sh script, I've made a "opensrf" init.d script which
starts the router and servers, and also a "chopchop" script.

- A snapsnot of libdbi + libdbi-drivers is now included.

- Portage should no longer bother with the Gentoo mirrors.

- I corrected the CGIs which were non-executable.

- The staff client is now installed on the system (/usr/lib/evergreen) if
one activates the staff_client USE flag. The dependency on xulrunner has
been added.

- There is no hard dependency on a jabber server anymore. One has to
decide between the included chopchop (and all its limitations) or an
external server (with the associated complexity, to be emerged
separately). If one decides to go with chopchop, the line "provide
jabber-server" should be added to the depend() function of its init.d
script [I've not done it because I had problems when multiple providers
exist.]

With that I can say that I now successfully run evergreen (both client
and server+middleware) on my own system. The corrected openils.xml file
(in CVS) was invaluable to get all services running (thanks Bill).

Now of course the staff client is built using a build id matching the
server, and there is no way to cleanly install a staff client for a remote
system without the whole shebang. I'm not sure it's worth spending much
time on this given that everything may change with FIT. One can always
decide not to run the server (both the debug and build application.ini are
installed).

A few comments:

- It's not obvious to have the system run under a non-superuser in
PostgreSQL. You have to create the database with that user as owner,
install tsearch2 and tablefunc as postgres, grant your user rights on the
tsearch2 tables, then run the build-oils-db script using your user.

- The usr_group-setup.cgi script and the staff client will not work if the
permission.grp_tree table is empty. On my local config I just uncommented
(and corrected) what was in 006.schema.permissions.sql (this change is not
in the ebuild).

- The MARC dependencies that are installed are:
  - MARC::Charset 0.95 (from CPAN)
  - MARC::Record 2.0RC1 (from SourceForge)
  - MARC::XML 0.83 (from CPAN)

There were the latest versions I could find, and seemed correct based on
the wiki, but recent postings to the mailing list would indicate that CVS
versions of some of those may be required. Does this apply to the 1.0.1
release as well?

As said above, I understand some/all of this work may have to be redone
when the configuration/installation management system will be in place.
But in the meantime, I was wondering if there were more immediate plans
(eg. for 1.0.2 and, I suppose, a db upgrade script)?

Thanks,

--
Eric Lesage