[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Gentoo/portage tree for evergreen

Jason Etheridge phasefx at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 15:47:23 EST 2007

On 1/8/07, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very, very nice.  Congrats and thank you!

I second that.

> You can (and we do, for testing and dev at PINES) build a
> "versionless" staff client.  This will connect to any server-side
> bundle that has a particular setup, which Jason can describe (and I
> can't :P).

There's an old wiki entry here describing it:
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=mozilla-devel:building_the_staff_client

Basically, you just use an empty string for your build id, and the
client will try to connect to http://host/xul/server/ instead of
http://host/xul/BUILD_ID/server/

So on the server, you just need a symlink for "server" to point to the
latest build.  I'm doing it a little more indirectly than that (by
linking to the parent directory of server/), but I don't remember why.
:-)

On our dev server, it currently looks like this:

HEAD -> /opt/home/pines/sym/ILS/Open-ILS/xul/staff_client/build/
sc_v100_rc2 -> HEAD
server -> HEAD/server/

sc_v100_rc2 is the build ID stamped onto the client that PINES is
using in production.

On our production server, every XUL update gets put into a new
directory with an incrementing naming scheme (sc_v100_rc2_51,
sc_v100_rc2_52, etc.) with sc_v100_rc2 symlinking to the latest one.
We can roll back the xul if need be by changing the symlink.

-- Jason