[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Chop Chop

Scott McKellar mck9 at swbell.net
Sun Jul 1 10:18:37 EDT 2007

Thanks for your answers, Don.

I didn't mean to sound like I was kvetching about outdated
documentation.  I expect documentation to be outdated, especially
for an open source project.  I was just trying to get the facts.

I'd volunteer to update the Wiki, but if I knew enough to update
it, I wouldn't be consulting it in the first place.

--- Don McMorris <don.mcmorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIK, ChopChop==jabber-c, but osrf_chat_main.c is NOT part of
> chop-chop (I could be wrong about this, though).

I looked at the Makefile, shich is where I should have looked in the
first place before posting, and at the change history for the
Makefile.

Apparently osrf_chat_main.c is the top level, i.e. where main()
resides.  The executable is named "chopchop", but it used to be
named "jserver-c".

<snip>

I know that chopchop is neither intended nor suitable for production
use.  Since I don't have a library to run, that doesn't bother me.

I have read a lot of anguished postings here from people trying to
install Evergreen.  I wanted to make myself useful without having to
install the whole shebang.  So I'm working piecemeal, building one
fragment at a time.  That should enable me not only to contribute
sooner but also to learn my way around the architecture and the
low-level dirty details.

I'm getting to the point where I need to start putting more pieces
together.  For example I can run run srfsh, but without a jabber
server to talk to, it can't do very much except give me an error
message.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and try to install the whole thing.

> > 3. Once Chop Chop is running, is there a graceful way to bring it
> > down?  It looks to me like it enters an endless loop, and the only
> > way to stop it is to send it a signal with kill or the like.
> There was a script in /openils/bin that controlled ChopChop.  As I
> recall, it was something along the lines of 'osrf_ctl stop jserver'.

I found a script osrf_ctl.sh, which starts and stops various daemons.
The general approach it takes is to use ps, grep, and awk to
identify the relevant process ids, and then a kill -9 to stop the
processes.

Scott McKellar
http://home.swbell.net/mck9/ct/