[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Data load challenges

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 10:25:51 EDT 2007

On 7/6/07, David J. Fiander <djfiander at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Mike Rylander wrote:
> > Yeah ... I don't know why make uses sh, honestly, but I ran into the
> > same thing.  I ended up setting the /bin/sh symlink to /bin/bash on my
> > box.  Not sure if you're willing to do that, but it does fix the
> > problem for me.
>
> The short answer: make uses sh because that's what the documentation says
> it uses.
>
> Longer answer: it's the standard scripting language, and it's guaranteed to
> be available on every system.  You've got two options:

I understand that ... I guess I should have been more explicit, as in
"I am annoyed by the fact that systems aren't supplied with a more
full-featured static fall-back shell than sh."

> 1) redo the build system so it only uses standard sh scripting (highly
> unlikely, although it would have been pretty easy to build it that way from
> the beginning).

Hopefully autotools-ification will take care of that.

> 2) set the Make variable SHELL to be the path to the shell you want to use.

Hmm... I don't see that in the man page (no ENVIRONMENT section in
mine), but that sounds like the RightWay(tm).

Thanks, David.

--miker