[OPEN-ILS-DEV] OPAC configurations/skins/themes, etc

Bill Erickson billserickson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 08:57:36 EDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/10/07, Don Hamilton <dhamilton at wlu.ca> wrote:
> >

> > Thank you.
> >
> > I have been doing some hunting, and have found some of that code. I was
> sort
> > of hoping for a bit of a roadmap. Dan Scott  had asked once if I was
> using
> > the version with the skins (I am now) and I had hoped there might be a
> > 'getting started' file somewhere.
> >
> > In the meantime, does the svn repository actually have a
> > "opac/extra/jacket/large" directory somewhere? I can't find it here,
> either
> > in my production files or in the svn source tree trunk. I wonder if it
> got
> > lost over the move from cvs?
>
> This, depending on the added content source, is a virtual location
> served either by a proxy-pass directive or a mod_perl application.
> IIRC, there should be an example for using Amazon in the docs, but I
> honestly don't know exactly where.  Bill or Dan (Scott)?

Yep.  The jacket URL's come from Apache rewrites.  Amazon is included as an
example in
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/trunk/Open-ILS/examples/apache/eg_vhost.conf

> > And finally, for this missive at least... How do I replace 'Example
> > Consortium' in the display? I did find actor.org_unit in the database,
> and
> > with some manual sql updated it a bit.... but even after a reboot, there
> was
> > no effect...
> >

> You'll need to run the autogen.sh script whenever you change org units
> (or a few other things).  That will regenerate the static content
> that's used to build many UIs.  You should have a set of CGIs
> available at
>
>   http://localhost/cgi-bin/config.cgi
>
> (adjusted for your host, of course) that will help you configure the
> org unit tree and the user group tree, among other things.  There is
> also a Django-based admin module in the works.
>
> Hope that helps...
>
> --miker

An additional note on OPAC themes.  All of the OPAC color info should be
encoded in /openils/var/web/opac/theme/default/css/colors.css.  As a test, I
recently created a (very ugly) alternate theme called "reddish"
(/opac/theme/reddish/css/colors.css), which you can see by going to your
browser's View menu and selecting "Reddish" from the "Page Style" submenu on
a 1.2 or later build of Evergreen.  (At least, I know that's how it works in
Firefox.)  We don't have controls in the OPAC for changing that, but they
can be added if there is demand.  Mostly it's there to demonstrate how to
change colors to suit your branding needs.

If you add a completely new theme, you'll have to link it into
/opac/skin/default/xml/common/css_common.xml

To change the logos, change /opac/images/small_logo.jpg and
/opac/images/main_logo.jpg.  Those may need to be scaled to size, of course.

Note that for now, these local changes (except entirely new themes) will be
overwritten when you upgrade the OPAC.  We'll be tackling this in short
order, with help from you all.  For now, the simplest solution is to keep a
local directly that matches the /openils/ directory tree where you've made
local changes.  Then, after an upgrade, just cp -r the local directory over
the newly installed /openils code.

Hope this helps!

-bill