[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Newbie install question

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Wed Jul 18 17:22:40 EDT 2007

Hello Karen,

> I'd like to start by lavishing extreme amounts of praise for your extremely
>clear and thorough set of instructions.

Thanks, but I cannot take all the credit.  About half of the instructions were completed by someone else (Dan Scott, I think, before he jumped the Ubuntu ship for Gentoo), and I completed/refined what he had started.

>As for option 1, I actually started out with release 1.0.6.3, ran into some
>connection problems, and started over with the newer version in the hopes
>that I wouldn't encounter those problems with the newer version.

The rate of change on this project is incredible.  My most recent build with these instructions was less than a month ago (1.0.5.something), and I made a few small edits at that time to make sure the instructions were as perfect as possible.  27 days later and they are hopelessly out of date!  :o

> I skipped because there is no bootstrap.conf, when in reality, I probably
> should have made those changes in some other configuration file.  Um...
> Either opensrf_core.xml or opensrf.xml?

bootstrap.conf is thankfully dead and gone.  The settings are pulled from opensrf_core.xml, but I do not think there is anything really special that needs to be done in there to make it work.  Some of the conf files seems kinda large and scary at first, but I would suggest reading the main ones over line-by-line, doing your best to understand what they are doing, and trying to find any "obvious" errors (like an incorrect username or hostname or password).  Once you have an understanding of what is inside of them, it is almost easier to just go though and make the needed changes than to follow the specific wiki instructions for editing them.

The list has actually been pretty quiet regarding install errors lately, but with 2 or 3 people now popping up with problems, I think I will try to find time tomorrow to install 1.2.0 and see what all the fuss is about :)

Finally, feel free to make edits to the Wiki, but be thick-skinned enough to not feel bad if I eventually end of changing your changes in some way :)  That's the wiki way I suppose.

Thanks,
DW