[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Newbie install question

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Thu Jul 19 17:53:56 EDT 2007

Hello again,

Well, I took the time to run through the install instructions using 1.2.0, and the necessary changes are minimal.  I am going to be out of the office tomorrow, so I thought I should get these out there now even though they are not as well vetted as I usually like (and probably contain minor errors!).  Please take them with a grain of salt.  I will also repeat my intentions to add these steps to the wiki once they are more fully tested (and 1.2.0 is declared stable), but if someone else is confident in them and feels the urge, who am I to stop them? :)

Anyway, here they are.  Again, they are fairly quick and dirty, but I think they make sense.

Hope this helps,
DW

!NEW STEP #20 IN THE WIKI!

Notes for building OpenSRF:

Download and decompress to where_ever_you_want/OpenSRF-0.9/

1) edit OpenSRF-0.9/Makefile
add line:

SHELL=/bin/bash

at the top.

2) Leave all options in install.conf at the defaults.

3) The following lines must be added to /etc/apache2/httpd.conf in order to allow apxs2 to function as expected  during our make install (the file should exist but will probably be blank):

# This is here for apxs compatibility (and this comment is required!)
#LoadModule mod_placeholder /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_placeholder.so

4) in OpenSRF-0.9/ directory, run:
CFLAGS=-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE make all
sudo make install

Notes for building OpenILS:

Download and decompress to where_ever_you_want/Evergreen-ILS-1.2.0-rc1/

1) in Evergreen-ILS-1.2.0-rc1/ directory, run:
make

2) Select all defaults, with the following exceptions:
Build_targets [openils_all evergreen_core]    !!!!IMPORTANT!!!!
Database Host [your_host_name_here]
Database Name [evergreen] (if you followed the wiki)
Database User [evergreen] (if you followed the wiki)
Database Password [everPass] (if you followed the wiki)

3) run:
sudo make install

4) enter password as needed for database build

!NEW STEP #23 IN THE WIKI!

1) Go to your installed Evergreen directory:

cd /openils/

2) Create the TWO main configuration files:

sudo cp conf/opensrf_core.xml.example conf/opensrf_core.xml
sudo cp conf/opensrf.xml.example conf/opensrf.xml

3) Edit opensrf.xml
In each <database> node, change the settings as appropriate:

      <database>
        <driver>Pg</driver>
        <host>eg-server</host>
        <port>5432</port>
        <name>evergreen</name>
        <user>evergreen</user>
        <password>everPass</password>
      </database>

Continue with the old Wiki step #23, starting at "In the <reporter><base_uri> node..." and ending with "Make the  cgis executable:

sudo chmod 755 /openils/var/cgi-bin/*.cgi"

10 (or something ;) ) Add the following lines to the top of /openils/bin/autogen.sh and /openils/bin/osrf_ctl.sh  (after the #!/bin/bash line):

export PATH=$PATH:/openils/bin
export PERL5LIB=/openils/lib/perl5

There are other ways to accomplish this, but this is one of the simplest and least intrusive.

Continue with old #23, starting at "Make sure all the openils stuff is owned by opensrf:" through the end of the step.

!NEW STEP #24 IN THE WIKI!

1) Start OpenILS

sudo -u opensrf /openils/bin/osrf_ctl.sh -c /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml -a start_all

2) Start (or restart) apache

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start

If you are not using a fully qualified domain name, you may get a notice for that, but apache will still start  fine.

!NEW STEP #26 IN THE WIKI!

Finalize the OPAC
This command will create all the needed Javascript files to make the OPAC functional (this must be run from  /openils/bin):

sudo -u opensrf ./autogen.sh /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml