[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Ubuntu 7.04 Apache2 don't start

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Tue Jun 5 18:17:17 EDT 2007

Hello Hennie,

>evergreen at ns2:~$  sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
 >* Starting web server
>(apache2)...
>[ OK ]>

I am not totally certain from your message why you think Apache is not starting correctly.  Can you browse to your machine?  When it says 'OK', that at least means your config files do not have syntax errors in them, and generally means everything is, well, 'ok.'  If it doesn't work, try posting your error/access logs (you may want to clean them out and restart Apache if they have grown too large).

>evergreen at ns2:~$ ps -ef | grep apache
>root     26836     1  9 22:54 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start
>opensrf  26937 26836  0 22:54 ?        00:00:00 [apache2] <defunct>
>1002     26941  6815  0 22:54 pts/0    00:00:00 grep apache

You may be concerned about the defunct process.  Sometimes these are serious, sometimes they aren't.  Either way, the top process in this list is the parent and appears to be running fine, and in the less serious cases, it will eventually kill this defunct child and replace it with one (or more) functional one(s).  Your error log may be able to tell you why it went defunct.  Is this machine low on memory?  I think I read somewhere that recent Apache versions need something like 40 megs per child (but don't quote me on that).

>Loads and loads of SSL type info in the Apache error log.

The default Ubuntu Apache install will dump all sorts of SSL [info] and [debug] messages into the error log.  Unless the message says [error], I wouldn't worry about that either.

DW