[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SPAM: PATCH: Support both Net::Z3950 and ZOOM (take 2)

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 22:56:58 EDT 2007

On 6/2/07, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Mike recently committed the new OpenILS/Utils/ZClient.pm with an
> updated OpenILS/Application/Search/Z3950.pm. The ZClient.pm module was
> meant to provide an abstraction interface that would support both
> Net::Z3950 and ZOOM (building on a previous patch of mine which made
> Z3950.pm support ZOOM instead of the deprecated Net::Z3950 module).

I've built further upon the attached patch, attempting to move the
logic into a set of wrapper classes for ::Connection, ::ResultSet and
::Record (the only classes from each implementation that are in use
currently).

So ... you'll find attached a new version of OpenILS::Utils::ZClient
that should work with the code that exists in head.  I humbly request
any brave souls out there currently using the existing CVS HEAD code
and Net::Z3950 to give this a whirl.  If that works, then installing
the Perl ZOOM package, restarting all services and then trying again
would be awesome.

Failing this thing working, I'm going to apply Dan's patch ... but I'd
prefer to hide the multiple interface support in one place.  If it
/does/ work we can look at releasing it as a separate standalone
module to provide basic abstraction support for others to use in
larger apps.

Dan deserves thanks for 1) creating a working fix and 2) submitting to
testing my crazy code.

TIA

--miker