[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SPAM: MySQL support?

Ingalls, Niles nilesi at zionsville.lib.in.us
Fri Jun 22 07:23:00 EDT 2007

On 6/20/07 10:36 PM, "Jack Bates" <ms419 at freezone.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi, I've been hired to setup an open source ILS for three small
> libraries at Simon Fraser University. We are looking at a couple
> projects, but Evergreen seems to have the most momentum behind it.
>
> Currently we're installing Evergreen on a local server, but would
> eventually like to move to a hosting package. Each library has
> approximately 4000 holdings and currently doesn't see heavy use, so
> maximum performance is not our first concern, however finding a hosting
> package which supports Evergreen is.
>
> Most hosting packages include MySQL, which some of our other web
> applications (MediaWiki) require. I'm not sure how difficult it will be
> to find a hosting package which includes PostgreSQL. We are considering
> a managed, colocated server, but still feel running Evergreen on MySQL
> would give us more flexibility.

Jack,
MediaWiki runs fine on PostgreSQL, and migrating your mediawiki database
will be far less problematic than attempting to get Evergreen to run using
mysql. I'd recommend finding a host that offers you a dedicated server
running the software of your choosing.

Niles Ingalls
UNIX & Web Administrator
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library