[OPEN-ILS-DEV] PATCH: osrfConfig.C (dropping stderr messages)

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 23:28:49 EDT 2007

On 6/28/07, Scott McKellar <mck9 at swbell.net> wrote:

> --- Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip -- about closing stdin, stdout, and stderr in daemonize(), etc>
>
> I did a little research and got another idea out of a book
> (Linux Application Development, by Johnson and Troan).

[snip]

That is a solid plan.  If you're raising your hand then I'd love to
see the patch.  I'd also like to get Bill's input, since this is his
code we're beating about, but daemonization needs to be fixed up. */me
pokes Bill*

> I'm not sure what to do if the parent needs to keep a file descriptor
> open while denying it to the child.  The simplest thing to do would
> be to close everything with fcloseall(), and then reopen anything
> you need.

Hmm... it's heavy-handed, but there's no reason not to do this based
on the current code.  It would certainly eliminate potential confusion
arising from open file handles.  Let's just make sure there's a
comment next to the fcloseall that explains the caveats and the
fclose-std* alternative.

Thanks, Scott.