[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Re: PATCH & RFC: Providing i18n support in OpenILS database schema

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:47:12 EDT 2007

On 6/5/07, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/06/07, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > This is just a small patch demonstrating the direction I'm thinking
> > the OpenILS database schema needs to take to provide I18N support for
> > various tables that currently contain hard-coded English text. I would
> > like to get some feedback on this direction before completing the
> > patch, as it will end up being a rather largish set of changes.

[snip]

> Updated patch corrects a dependency on the config.standing table to
> point to the new config.standing_ids table instead. Otherwise, all
> else remains the same :)

For clarity's sake I want everyone to know that I have not been
ignoring this patch.  We've cajoled Dan into coming down to GA for a
few days during July (more on that later) and as he and I care the
most (out of the current contributor set) about I18N and G10N we
(along with Jason) be filling whiteboard upon whiteboard with designs
for this ... and then sending the full proposal out here (probably
with a demo patch) to solicit comments and feedback.

This is a very big feature, and while the individual changes will be
minimal in many cases, the overall effect on the code needs to be
planned out clearly, and we're lucky to get to schedule some "face
time" to do just that.  So ... there you have it.

Thanks, all.

--miker