[OPEN-ILS-DEV] No luck loading Net::Z3950 on Fedora C6

Bill Ott bott at grpl.org
Wed Mar 21 18:50:24 EDT 2007

John Craig said the following on 3/21/2007 7:29 PM:
> Hi Folks,
>
> On Fedora C6, rpm reports:
>
> # rpm -qv yaz libyaz libyaz-devel yaz-debuginfo yaz-ziffy
> yaz-2.1.54-1
> libyaz-2.1.54-1
> libyaz-devel-2.1.54-1
> yaz-debuginfo-2.1.54-1
> yaz-ziffy-2.1.54-1
>
> # perl -MCPAN -e 'CPAN::Shell->install("Net::Z3950")'
>
> <makes a good start>
> make: *** [yazwrap/libyazwrap.a] Error 2
>   /usr/bin/make  -- NOT OK
> Running make test
>   Can't test without successful make
> Running make install
>   make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
>
> When I go looking for /yazwrap, /I do not find anything (at least not
> under /usr)
>
> There is this .a file, but nothing else:
>
> /usr/include/yaz:
> libyaz.a
>
> Is there another piece of the yaz setup (yazwrap) that I didn't find
> at: http://ftp.indexdata.dk/pub/yaz/redhat/fc6/ ?
>
> I tried to google yazwrap and didn't get anything useful (except that
> there was a dependency that hung people up with this module back on
> FC2 with Koha)...
>
> Suggestions gratefully accepted!
>
> John
>
> John M. Craig
> Alpha-G Consulting, LLC
> john at alphagconsulting.com
> www.alphagconsulting.com
> (801) 805-4963

I wish I could tell you why, but I ran into the exact same problem
between last night and this morning (on FC6 in fact).

I entered the ~/.cpan/build/Net-Z3950-0.51/yazwrap directory and
manually ran a make there, which completed normally.  After that I moved
back to the main module directory and the make and make test again
finished fine.  ...don't ask me why, but hopefully it will work for you too.