[OPEN-ILS-DEV] "use Apache2"

Harry Bochner Harry.Bochner at biogenidec.com
Fri Mar 23 16:37:10 EDT 2007

Well, I've progressed to trying to get the web server configured ...

I'm seeing a problem with perl modules.

Several of the OpenILS modules say:

> use Apache2 ();

and OpenILS::WWW::AddedContent.pm says:
> use lib qw(/usr/lib/perl5/Bundle/);

with the apparent intent of making the "use Apache2" command find
"Bundle/Apache2.pm".

But that doesn't work for me because in my installation the relevant
directory is
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/Bundle rather
than just /usr/lib/perl5/Bundle.

So, OK, I could change the "use lib" line in AddedContent.pm. But why
are we trying to load "Bundle/Apache2.pm"? In CPAN terminology, a
Bundle is just a way to make it easy to download and install a bunch
of related modules in one step. Bundle/Apache2.pm doesn't actually do
anything, afaict, and that's compatible with the documentation! ;-)

So it seems to me that the right solution is to get rid of the "use
Apache2" lines. Some one probably thought that they were needed before
"use Apache2::Log", "use Apache2::RequestUtil" could be executed. I
suppose that's possible in theory, but the standard style calls for
those modules to load anything they need themselves, not expecting the
caller to have done it for them.

But, of course, since I don't have a working system, I can't test
whether things still work with this change ;-)

--
Harry