[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Bash Dependency in build system

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mailserv.mvlc.lib.ma.us
Mon Mar 26 14:29:21 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm still plugging away at getting Evergreen to work on FreeBSD.

I have now made it to where I think I can try installing
Evergreen/OpenILS itself.

The first thing that I have noticed is that the build system depends on
bash being installed and that bash is installed in /bin. The following
scripts have that dependency:

./Evergreen/src/support-scripts/eg_gen_overdue.sh
./config.sh
./install.sh
./Open-ILS/examples/oils_ctl.sh
./Open-ILS/src/extras/import/cleanse-usmarc.sh
./Open-ILS/src/extras/import/extract-holdings.sh
./Open-ILS/src/extras/autogen.sh
./Open-ILS/xul/staff_client/external/dtd2js.sh
./Open-ILS/xul/staff_client/external/prune_dirs.sh
./OpenSRF/bin/osrf_ctl.sh

Additionally, many of the scripts contain bashisms that are not portable
to normal sh syntax. In the short term, I am going to install bash and
sed the she-bang path to point at /usr/local/bin/bash. In the long term,
I think it would be helpful if the above scripts were done in portable
sh syntax. I have not looked at nor tried to run them all as of this
writing, but I'm willing to do whatever work is necessary to make them
portable and send patches to whomever wants them.

Cheers,
Jason