[OPEN-ILS-DEV] VMWare image on MS Virtual Server?

Sperr, Edwin sperr at nelinet.net
Thu May 24 10:27:28 EDT 2007

We're looking at setting up a small testing/sandbox install, and I've
gotten just far enough with the process of preparing RHEL4 to despair of
the whole notion of software dependencies.

The VMWare images look like a nice alternative, but this implementation
environment would be on Microsoft Virtual Server. I took the natural
step of installing VMWare Player on the Virtual Server, thereby
attempting to run a virtual machine inside another virtual machine.  I
was hoping I'd at least get some kind of rip in the space-time
continuum, but instead it just resulted in a virtual kernel panic.

Has anyone either: 1) Coaxed VMWare player into running the Evergreen
image inside a Virtual Server VM? or 2) Successfully ported the
Evergreen image to a format where it would run natively as a Virtual
Server itself?  As for option two, I've seen some virtual disk
conversion utilities, but am fuzzy on what the actual implementation
details would be.

Thanks!

Ed Sperr
Digital Services Consultant
NELINET, Inc.
153 Cordaville Rd. Suite 200  Southborough, MA
(508) 597-1931  |  (800) 635-4638 x1931