[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Bulk importing copies into Evergreen-newbie question

Nella Lall ndlall at ucalgary.ca
Tue Nov 20 16:11:17 EST 2007

I am completely new to Evergreen and after successfully loading one
lonely marc record into our evergreen database,
I got stumped when I tried to load a marc record's two related copies.

Here is what I have done based on the Evergreen admin documentation
found at:
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:importing:bibrecords#adding_copies_to_bibliographic_records_in_evergreen

I began the process of taking that ONE marc record (with the in tag 999)
and converted it to MARC21XML with MarcEdit.  I transferred that
converted file up to the evergreen server.  I called my file
test1b.xml.  Here is a snippet from my
MARC21XML file show the two 999 tags:

<datafield tag="999" ind1=" " ind2=" ">
<subfield code="a">WA590 .C365 1998</subfield>
<subfield code="w">NLM</subfield>
<subfield code="c">1</subfield>
<subfield code="i">00009728368</subfield>
<subfield code="d">11/14/2007</subfield>
<subfield code="e">11/14/2007</subfield>
<subfield code="k">CHECKEDOUT</subfield>
<subfield code="l">RGH</subfield>
<subfield code="m">BR1</subfield>
<subfield code="n">1</subfield>
<subfield code="r">M</subfield>
<subfield code="s">Y</subfield>
<subfield code="t">2WEEK</subfield>
<subfield code="u">5/15/2007</subfield>
<subfield code="x">UNKNOWN</subfield>
<subfield code="z">RGH</subfield>
</datafield>

<datafield tag="999" ind1=" " ind2=" ">
<subfield code="a">WA590 .C365 1998</subfield>
<subfield code="w">NLM</subfield>
<subfield code="c">2</subfield>
<subfield code="i">00009714384</subfield>
<subfield code="k">WHKC-REF</subfield>
<subfield code="l">WHKC-REF</subfield>
<subfield code="m">BR1</subfield>
<subfield code="r">Y</subfield>
<subfield code="s">Y</subfield>
<subfield code="t">LIBONLY</subfield>
<subfield code="u">8/14/2007</subfield>
<subfield code="x">UNKNOWN</subfield>
<subfield code="z">WHKC</subfield>
</datafield>

</record>
</collection>

I grabbed the import_holdings.pl file off of
http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/browser/trunk/Evergreen/src/extras/import/import_holdings.pl

and changed the settings in line 45 my
($db_driver,$db_host,$db_name,$db_user,$db_pw) =
to what we have setup for our evergreen username, password etc etc.

Then I ran:

perl import_holdings.pl --marc_file test1b.xml

There were no errors and it created the 2 expected files in my working
directory:
asset_volume.sql and asset_copy.sql

But both are "blank inside" without the specific data from my input
file's xml 999 subfields.

eg. content of my asset_copy.sql is:

SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO 'UNICODE';
COPY asset.copy
(id,circ_lib,editor,creator,barcode,call_number,copy_number,status,loan_duration,fine_level,circulate,deposit,deposi

t_amount,price,ref,opac_visible) FROM STDIN;
\.
SELECT setval('asset.copy_id_seq'::TEXT, 1);

I did continue onto the next step of doing:
Import the volume and copy SQL files into your Evergreen database:

psql evergreen
# \i asset_volume.sql
# \i asset_copy.sql

Again with no error messages but neither copy has been attached to the
bib.record in the evergreen database.

So, can anyone out there see my error or give me clues on how to
successfully import copies??  Thanks so much,

Nella Lall