[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Question about Evergreen database

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Fri Nov 23 21:32:39 EST 2007

Whether knowingly or not, you guys have hit on a pretty controversial topic in librarianship - whether or not to store data on what books patrons have checked out in the past... controversial at least in the US since the USA Patriot Act.

On one hand you've got the argument that you want to be able to give a patron a list of books they've checked out in the past when they ask for it, and they do ask.

On the other hand, some librarians oppose the USA Patriot Act on constitutional grounds related to patron privacy and for this reason, prefer to not retain this information, in case they are ordered to provide it.

With this in mind, it might make sense to have a configurable option where a branch/system/consortium could elect to save this type of information, erase it when a book is returned or when it has been checked out to another patron (as my library's current software does), or to let patrons opt in or out.

That much flexibility might overly complicate matters in development, but I doubt it would go unappreciated.

I am delighted to learn that information on when books were checked out is retained.  Our current ILS tosses that information out along with the patron specific information.  It would be very useful to be able to create a graph of circulations over time for an item or group of items, to see changes in popularity when you're deciding whether to weed an item from the collection or thinking about what types of books to add to the collection.

Just some thoughts,
Karen