[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Question about Evergreen database

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Sat Nov 24 05:31:49 EST 2007

-On [20071124 04:01], Karen Collier (kcollier at kent.lib.md.us) wrote:
>Whether knowingly or not, you guys have hit on a pretty controversial topic
>in librarianship - whether or not to store data on what books patrons have
>checked out in the past... controversial at least in the US since the USA
>Patriot Act.

Let me pipe in from that scary other continent:

if you want Evergreen to be succesful on an international scale you will have
to make such historical data retention configurable. In Europe there's quite a
lot of laws on both national and European level that warrants limits to data
retention. (Of course due to the pressure of preventing terrorism, bla bla,
such things are also under 'attack'.)

IIRC from my experience when I worked for the Erasmus University the only
retention in place was the previous patron who borrowed a book in order to
check up reported damage by the current patron.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
When you pass through, no one can pin you down, no one can call you back...