[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Gender Question

Will Kurt willkurt at lib-bling.com
Fri Oct 5 16:43:40 EDT 2007

The other day on programming.reddit the following article was posted under
the title: "What Kernel Hackers Look like": http://lwn.net/Articles/248891/
which may help answer your question.
As a male librarian who's also a CS student in evening, it's completely
bizarre to switch between 2 worlds with reversed 1:9 gender ratio
inequality.   Unfortunately, there's much more gender hostility in the CS
side of things in my experience, and I think some of this carries over into
the OSS world.

My guess would be that the suggestion was at least somewhat sincere in an
attempt to foster and support more development teams whose group photos
aren't a "Where's Waldo" when searching for female developers.

--Will