[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Introduction and Question

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 12:01:01 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Larry Stamm <lstamm at mcbridebc.com> wrote:

>     > Hi, Larry. :) Your friendly neighbourhood British Columbia
>     > Evergreen sysadmin here. :)
>
> Hi Brandon,
>
> Big neighbourhood!  Are you going to be the technical point man for
> the BC Pines implementation?
>
>     > - The patron data in an Athena system is trivially exportable in
>     > dBase format. I'm not sure whether the same functionality exists
>     > for transactional and hold data, or for item-level
>     > data. Bibliographic data in MARC format is MARC data, and that's
>     > fine as it is.
>
> All the circulation data in Athena is held in various dBase files that
> can be accessed independently of the Athena interface.  I guess my
> real question was: are those dBase filenames hard-coded into Athena or
> will they change with each library's implementation of Athena?
> Sagebrush's support team has refused to answer that question, claiming
> that it is their "intellectual property". :(
>
> I can always just go visit another library to see for myself.
>
>     > - The database schema, mostly up-to-date, is available on the
>     > dokuwiki at
>     > http://open-ils.org/documentation/evergreen_1.1.3_erd.html.

Hey!  That's my IP!! ;)

> Thanks, that helps a lot.  Will that structure stay more-or-less the
> same as features, such as acquisitions, are added to OpenILS?

They will, for the most part.  I will put up a 1.2.0 ERD soon and
announce it here.

>     > - The Django piece is used to tickle some of the back-end
>     > settings like circ policies, what Evergreen calls org units
>     > (branches, library systems, etc.), and the like. If you've not
>     > used Djano before, it's worth a look at
>     > http://www.djangoproject.com/. Pretty whiz-bang stuff.
>
> Cool!  This will replace the perl cgi scripts for basic configuration,
> and then some?

Yes.  And we're looking for pythonistas to work on that as well. (hint-hint) :)

> If I have questions about the BC Pines implementation, is it
> appropriate to ask them here, or should I take it to the Northern
> Pines list?

I'll mostly defer to Brandon/BCPines on that, but I will say that we'd
appreciate anything you feel is appropriate to send here.