[OPEN-ILS-DEV] reporter problems

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 10:16:28 EDT 2007

On 25/10/2007, Bill Ott <bott at grpl.org> wrote:

> > One other thing...  The <reporter> config in opensrf.xml has a setting
> > called <output_base>, which defines where the output files are stored
> > on the local machine (mentioned above).  This defaults to
> > /openils/var/reporter/output
> >
> > The reporting interface (in the staff client) expects the output to
> > live at http://<host>/reporter/
>
> Ok, now you guys are just reading my mind...
>
> I need to go for coffee between emails, because I already looked under
> the hood to find out how to daemonize clark-kent.pl, and just started
> tracking down this issue after seeing the 404 looking for /reporter/1,
> when I had already seen Clark create /reporter/output/1/5/5
>
> As an aside, /openils/var/reporter hadn't been created at install either.
>   (or /openils/var/reporter/output as noted in the example <output_base> )

In working on getting the reporter going (thanks Bill and Mike for all of
the additional info!), I guess there are a couple of things  we can do to
smooth the path for others:

1) Have clark-kent.pl automatically get installed into /openils/bin (at
least if openils-all is a target: maybe create a new openils-reporter
target?)
2) Add Text::CSV_XS to the list of Perl module prerequisites
3) Have the installer automatically create the directories listed in
/opensrf/default/reporter/setup/files/* (maybe hooked to the new
openils-reporter target)?
4) Document it
5) Create a set of generally-useful reports that could be preloaded
(possibly hooked to an openils-reporter-example-reports target or something
like that) ?

I'm willing to work on all of these items, as I put the pieces together. I
still need to read through the clark-kent.pl source to figure out whether
all of the various configuration files are required, where they go, etc.
Possibly a job for this weekend -- although Bill O, if you get it all
working please post your findings to the list! Bill and Mike have had their
fill of me pestering them for a while after yesterday's Django &
data-loading session :)

IMHO the report mechanism is an awesome and as yet under-appreciated feature
of Evergreen. Again, kudos to the EG developers!

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University