[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Sendmail or postfix for email notices?

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Thu Sep 13 04:59:24 EDT 2007

Hi Michael,

-On [20070913 04:33], Michael Robertson (marwml at yahoo.com) wrote:
>I'm preparing to install Evergreen 1.2.0 on an Ubuntu 7.0.4 LAMP server for a
>local not-for-profit that has a small library.  They want the ability to send
>email notices.  Can I use Postfix in place of Sendmail?  If yes, should I
>set-up the Postfix to Sendmail compatibility interface (http://www.akadia.com/
>services/postfix_mta.html) or is that not necessary?

I have been using Postfix as a Sendmail replacement for a fair number of
years.

Within FreeBSD we have a /etc/mail/mailer.conf that has the following:

# Execute the Postfix sendmail program, named /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
#
sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
mailq   /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

So if you use the compatibility interface you're essentially assured of a
flawless operation. I have not tested this with Evergreen, but I suspect no
issues at all.

Hope this helps a bit,

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/