[OPEN-ILS-DEV] PROBLEM DOWNLOADING PERL MODULES

Noel Goodman goldenchild_gt at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 12:11:38 EDT 2007

Thanks for your comments guys.
I ask that u remember I'm not an avid user of linux, but because of the project I'm working on, I've had to keep digging into it so to speak.

What I'm getting at is that I don't know how to configure the system to make passive ftp connections with file servers.
My OS is gentoo.  Does anyone know where I can make that setting so that the terminal knows that its a passive ftp connection it has to make?

Someone passed on this bit of code:
ftp -p

I can only assume that's to be used if I'm manually downloading the file.  But the downloads that occur after typing Bundle::CPAN occurs automatically.

Help asap plz!!!!

Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mailserv.mvlc.lib.ma.us> wrote: Noel Goodman wrote:
> Hope I'm not a pain to everyone :D
> I'm not getting the perl modules to download. The following occurs every
> time I run through the given sequence in the guide.  The connection
> keeps failing.

[Snip.]

Looks like a firewall issue to me. The FTP server normally tries to
connect back to your PC on some random port to send you the data. If a
firewall is blocking connections to your PC on random ports, then the
transfer will fail. Time outs are a typical type of this failure.

Try using passive mode FTP where the server sends the data back down the
control channel rather than trying to make a connection to your PC. I do
believe this is one of the configurable options in CPAN.

Cheers,
Jason

Image by FlamingText.com