[OPEN-ILS-DEV] missing white space after macro

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 08:24:40 EDT 2007

On 28/09/2007, Scott McKellar <mck9 at swbell.net> wrote:
> None of my betters appears to have responded, so I'll take a shot
> at it.
>
> It looks like gcc is warning you about some dubious syntax in
> jsarena.c.  What is jsarena.c?
>
> I looked over a recent download of the current development tree and
> found no file by that name,,,nor does the string "jsarena" occur in
> any of the files in the tree, in upper, lower, or mixed case.
>
> I downloaded the fourth release candidate, unzipped and untarred it,
> and looked for jsarena.c.  I still couldn't find it, either as a
> file name or as a character string.  Whatever it is, it doesn't
> seem to be part of Evergreen.
>
> I googled for "jsarena.c" and, at least in the first few pages of
> results, every reference was apparently to some file in Mozilla,
> unrelated to Evergreen.
>
> Is it possible that you somehow triggered an attempt to rebuild
> Firefox (or Netscape or something) from source?
>
> Scott McKellar
> http://home.swbell.net/mck9/ct/
>
> --- Grant Johnson <fgjohnson at upei.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> > Trying an install of Fourth release candidate for Evergreen 1.2.0 (
> > http://open-ils.org/downloads/Evergreen-ILS-1.2.0-rc4.tar.gz ) on
> > Ubuntu 7.04 wkstn.
> > Updated all packages prior to starting install.  (Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
> >
> > Step # 11   -  $ make -f Makefile.ref
> > results in a whack of lines like this!
> > No errors before this point that I can see.
> >
> > *****
> > <command line>:1:16: warning: missing whitespace after the macro name
> > gcc -o Linux_All_DBG.OBJ/jsarena.o -c -Wall -Wno-format -DGCC_OPT_BUG
> > -g -DXP_UNIX -DSVR4 -DSYSV -D_BSD_SOURCE -DPOSIX_SOURCE
> > -DHAVE_LOCALTIME_R -DX86_LINUX  -DDEBUG -DDEBUG_evergreen-admin
> > -DEDITLINE -ILinux_All_DBG.OBJ  jsarena.c
> > *****

Hey Scott (and Grant):

That's part of libjs, a JavaScript library from the Mozilla foundation
that is used by Evergreen (in conjunction with the
JavaScript-SpiderMonkey Perl module).

Grant, have you changed the CFLAGS to bump up the gcc warning levels,
by any chance? I haven't compiled libjs on Ubuntu, but on Gentoo it's
relatively quiet.

Most importantly, does the build succeed (despite the warnings) or does it fail?

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University