[OPEN-ILS-DEV] User data migration question

Robert Soulliere robert.soulliere at mohawkcollege.ca
Thu Apr 24 12:06:30 EDT 2008

Thanks, Mike and Karen for help with my last question. I think our
domain can now be accessed from the outside based on reports from one of
our offsite testers. First our IT department denied the problem, but
then they fixed it.

My next question is looking more into the future. We will eventually
need to migrate our current student data into our Evergreen Database. I
think that this will be the most difficult and tedious task of all in
regards to migrating. The college uses Banner with an Oracle database
for student records. Is it possible to migrate from Oracle to PostgreSQL
directly? I heard that scripts will be required to massage the data into
PostgreSQL. I suspect that our IT department may have to work on this
part given security concerns with the student data. Our IT department is
not very open-minded about open-source software.

Does anyone have any insights or experience to share regarding this user
record migration under these circumstances? I looked for discussion in
the archives but couldn't find very much on this topic.

Thanks,
Robert