[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Questions about software requirements for CentOS

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Thu Dec 11 15:22:08 EST 2008

Jason Etheridge wrote:
> Hrmm, I could get you version information for the components from a
> running instance of Evergreen.  It wouldn't necessarily be "minimal"
> versions, but then again, if I pull from a Debian distribution it
> might very close, considering how non-bleeding edge Debian is.  Does
> that sound useful?

Yes, that would give me a starting point..

> Also, I believe Dan has been breaking the Makefile.install
> prerequisite fetcher up so that we now have one specific for OpenSRF
> and one specific for Evergreen.

That's a great idea.  It would be good to also keep track of
the minimal versions known to work while listing the programs
and modules that are needed.  Especially since the instructions
say to use CPAN to update the instance of perl that is maintained
by the distro.  Bad things can happen when two separate programs
try to maintain the same set of files.  That is the primary
reason I'd like to produce rpm files to remove the need for
downloading from CPAN.

The other way around this would be to have instructions to
install a second instance of perl which would be managed by
CPAN updates.  This would mean updating any usage of perl
or /usr/bin/perl to /opt/perl/perl (or whatever path was
chosen for the second instance).