[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Dead functions

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 08:10:09 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Scott McKellar <mck9 at swbell.net> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 12/15/08, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

>> Thinking about it a bit more rationally, I'd like to
>> see a mmap-based
>> function.  I can see a good use for this as the basis of a
>> dump/reload
>> utility.  I wonder if it's time to just take an axe to
>> the legacy code
>> in trunk, though.  We've got 1.0 out there if
>> there's a need for a
>> legacy-to-new bridge.
>
> When you say YES * 1000, I'm not sure if you mean yes let's get rid of
> these functions or yes let's use mmap().  In case you meant the latter,
> please see the attached.

I was jumping for joy over removing the dead code, but then I got to
thinking about dump/restore.  For dump/restore (or just FS-backed
persistence of some pile) the "restore" step really needs to be record
oriented.  We don't want to blow up RAM because we have a lot of stuff
to work on.  Sooooo... I think we should just set that part aside for
now and remove the dead code.

Thoughts?