[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Importing from SIRSI

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 17:23:40 EST 2008

On 18/01/2008, Grant Johnson <FGJohnson at upei.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Built a new current export of my Unicorn records.
> See below for the first 2.
>
> When I run     #perl marc2bre.pl records.marc > ~/gutenberg.bre
>
> I get the following error... it worked with Gutenburg...
>
> Can't locate Error.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /openils/lib/perl5/
> /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8
> /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
> /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at marc2bre.pl line 7.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at marc2bre.pl line 7.

First things first - you need to install the Error Perl module (on Debian
etch, that would be http://packages.debian.org/etch/liberror-perl) so that
you can see what the actual error is. You installed using John Schmidt's
script, right? Might need some tweaks :)

Do I need to convert a default SIRSI record dump into something before
> running this script?

Dumb question here: are you dumping raw MARC records, or Unicorn's "flat"
records? You definitely want to dump raw MARC.

SIRSI exports in MARC8 right?

Our Unicorn system exports to MARC8, but we haven't paid for the Unicode
functionality so if you have Unicode support your mileage may vary.

If your records are in MARC21 / MARC8 format, you can either convert them to
MARC21XML / UTF-8 format with something like yaz-marcdump or marc4j or
Marcedit first for speed and pass the --marctype=XML flag to marc2bre.pl, or
let marc2bre to convert them from MARC21 / MARC8 to MARC21XML / UTF-8 using
the MARC::Charset Perl module (basically a rehash of what I wrote at the top
of
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:importing:bibrecords
).

--