[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen as a digital repository

Jason Etheridge phasefx at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 08:42:12 EST 2008

> Please forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to actually archive digital
> content on Evergreen, or does it just serve to store metadata.

Hi David,

Evergreen wasn't designed for that purpose, though I imagine you could
abuse it and make it work.  For example, you're not limited to MARC
bibliographic formats (though we may cross-walk to MARC), and anything
textual we can make searchable.  Metadata stored in EG can also link
to external resources.  But what EG would be missing is
workflow-specific accomodations and conveniences for your domain (and
not being a domain expert in that field, I'm not sure what those might
be).

It's also possible that we could integrate with an existing open
source information repository down the road, or maybe with something
like Reserves Direct, which can store digital content.

Let me know if this helps.  If you can give us some specific use
cases, requirements, problem descriptions, etc. we can probably find
you an open source alternative, or tell you what it might take to move
Evergreen in that direction.  Thanks!

--
Jason Etheridge