[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Bib that blows up the import

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:12:04 EDT 2008

Hi Frances:

If you import straight MARC21 format records, then the importer relies
on Perl's MARC::Record and MARC::File::XML modules to convert the
record to MARC21XML format. You might have turned up a bug (or perhaps
we could call it a strictness feature) in one of those modules.

However, I would suggest using yaz-marcdump to convert the files to
MARC21XML (and from MARC8 to UTF8 encoding) first, before importing.
yaz-marcdump will be much faster and generally more capable of
handling less-than-savoury MARC records like your example.

In the case of your example record, I ran the following command with
yaz-marcxml version 2.1.56 (a relatively ancient version) to convert
it to the attached MARC21XML record. Note that the conversion
automatically supplied the subfield 'a' for that problem 500 field:

bash$ yaz-marcdump -f marc8 -t utf8 -i marc -o marcxml -l9=97
~/Documents/Downloads/1567233.mrc > 1567233.xml

Dan

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University