[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Bib that blows up the import

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:36:41 EDT 2008

2008/7/3 Frances Dean McNamara <fdmcnama at uchicago.edu>:
> We are using yaz to convert (we already have a setup using that for our AquaBrowser weekly dumps of the db, so they used that)  So this happened when it was running with the xml parameter on a yaz file, then I reproduced the problem with a straight marc file using the perl.
>
> I'll ask Dale to look at your yaz command line as opposed to the one we have been using.  Thanks.
>
> I guess what we have discovered is that we may have to spend some time on a custom conversion bib program if we went with this as all sorts of interesting issues may show up in such a big file.  Turns out the process would skip that record and go on but I don't think it writes an error which we would need.
>
> That was LC cataloging, so apparently sometimes the do add a 500 with no subfield code.  The problem looks like it happens when the subfield delimeter and code are missing AND the text start with a quotation mark.  We won't try to fix right now, just note it as an issue

Ah, it's actually very helpful to provide the exact toolset /
processing chain you're using when looking for help debugging a
problem. I retract any aspersions that may have been cast on
MARC::Record / MARC::File::XML!

And embarrassingly for me, if you look at the XML record I sent, it
has <subfield code="&quot;">August 1993"</subfield> for the offending
subfield rather than <subfield code="a">August 1993"</subfield>. So
yaz 2.1.56 doesn't resolve that problem. I wouldn't be surprised if a
newer version resolves that, though.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University