[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Staff client self-check/express-check mode

Josh Stompro stomproj at larl.org
Wed Jul 9 13:00:53 EDT 2008

Greetings
    I have seen some discussion on the list in the past about a "poor
man's" self check mode for the staff client.  This is another feature
that our system relies upon that would be a roadblock for us in making a
decision to convert to Evergreen.

    Our current vendor offers a feature like this.  Their staff client
can be run in a locked down self check mode.  We have been able to
deploy 11 self check stations at 4 branches that handle between 80% -
100% of the checkouts at a very low cost. We use old barcode scanners,
old computers, new receipt printers and new touch screens.  Staff and
customers have been very happy with how it is working so far.  For $800
+ Licensing costs for each self check unit, it is much more affordable
than the 100k it would costs using 3rd party self check units.

    Has this feature been discussed or fleshed out any in the last
couple years (There was a post on the dev list on 4/14/05 about such a
feature)?  If not I would like to start a design/specification document
on the Wiki.  Is anyone else interested in such a feature?

Thanks
Josh

--
Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
Josh Stompro               | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139