[OPEN-ILS-DEV] purging objson (legacy json) for opensrf 1.0 / Evergreen 1.4

Bill Erickson erickson at esilibrary.com
Mon Jul 14 10:48:21 EDT 2008

The topic of purging objson, which implements the old-style, comment-embedded
class hints for OpenSRF objects came up recently during a discussion of the
new autotools infrastructure.  OK, fine, I brought it up.

The current objson setup provides support for parsing old-style objects via a
separate API call (used in the opensrf gateway) and an implementation of the
old jsonObjectIterator API, which changed with the latest JSON code.

The original idea for the legacy json layer was that the system may need to
support old and new-style JSON objects for Evergreen 1.4.  However, if we are
in agreement that there is no need to support old-style JSON objects in
Evergreen 1.4, and I'm pretty sure we've passed that bridge already, then the
legacy JSON layer seems like an unnecessary layer of complexity that we
should just drop.

What would it take?

1. The cstore application makes heavy use of the jsonObjectIterator API, which
would need to be manually updated to use the new jsonIterator API.  The
difference there is that the call to next() now returns a jsonObject instead
of a the intermediary jsonObjectNode.  Also, instead of accessing the current
key through the node, you access it directly on the iterator object.

2. Remove all references to objson on the source/makefiles for Evergreen (only
a few remain)

3. Purge objson from OpenSRF autotools and remove osrf_legacy_json* files

Sound sane for Evergreen 1.4 and OpenSRF 1.0?

-b

--
Bill Erickson