[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Can I load MARC authorities with same scripts as the bibs?

Frances Dean McNamara fdmcnama at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 17 08:49:26 EDT 2008

Great.  Thanks.

Frances

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-dev-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Mike Rylander
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 4:02 PM
To: Evergreen Development Discussion List
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Can I load MARC authorities with same scripts as the bibs?

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Frances Dean McNamara
<fdmcnama at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> Can I load LC MARC full authority records to Evergreen with the same tools
> we used to load bibs?

There is a separate tool called marc2are.pl which emits adifferent
data structure.  You then use direct_ingest.pl and add a -a switch to
tell that tool it's dealing with authority records.  The
parallel_pg_loader tool gets a different set of command line arguments
as well: -or are -or afr -a afr

> Are they used in any way other than to Validate in Cataloging?

They are used to provide cross-referencing search links in the OPAC
(the contest of the "folders" in the sidebar) and are used as
suggestions for searches with no results where the term entered is a
non-authorized version of a used, authorized term.

> Do Auth records actually link to Bib records that use the headings?

Not today, but "soft linking" (that is, it's available, but not
required) is in the works for 2.0.