[OPEN-ILS-DEV] problem during Evergreen installation

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Tue Jul 22 10:01:14 EDT 2008

Hello Vijay,

1 & 2 > You can put the downloaded/extracted files anywhere where your user has write permissions and which is convenient for you.  The wiki page suggests /eg-srcs within your home directory.  It appears as though you have done this, so maybe I am misunderstanding the questions?

3 > You should use: 127.0.0.0/16
The number after the slash is a bit mask, so this essentially means to allow from 127.0.*.*, which should let you access the config scripts only from a browser running on the server itself.  This is a very basic security measure.

Apache allows for resolving and forwarding of requests based on server name, so the 'ServerName' directive should be a name, not an address, e.g.:
ServerName eg-server:80

or

ServerName eg-server.yourdomainhere.com:80 (if you have a registered name)

If using the first unregistered version, you probably only be able to access http://eg-server/ from a browser running on the server itself.  It should be noted that the instructions are generally written to allow this sort of self-testing, not to allow access from other machines on your network.  You should generally still be able to access the web server using the machine's external IP address, though.

ServerAlias means nothing more than specifying additional requests to which a given Apache server should respond.  You can set as many as you want, e.g.:

ServerAlias server:80 server2.domain.com:80 server2:80 127.0.1.1:80

and so on.

All that being said, Apache is extremely flexible, and the best Apache settings are those that work :)

4 > 127.0.0.1 is the address for 'localhost,' that is, the current computer you are using.  This allows a machine to use IPv4 protocols to communicate with itself, which is very convenient when accessing a 'network' service locally.  On Ubuntu, any unqualified/unregistered machine name is mapped to 127.0.1.1, and is mostly just another redundant way for the machine to talk to itself, and a stand-in for a "real" IP address which goes with a "real" (DNS registered) name.  For example:

ping localhost = contact ping service on 127.0.0.1
ping eg-server = contact ping service on 127.0.1.1
(if I register my machine with my DNS server)
ping eg-server.yourdomainhere.com = contact ping service on 153.106.123.1 (some Internet legal IP address)

5 > For the Syslog error, it seems that at least one prereq was missed in your install.  Try:

sudo apt-get install libunix-syslog-perl

If you have other missing Perl modules, review steps 8 and 9.

Finally, this command:

sudo -u opensrf ./autogen.sh /openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml

must be run from your /openils/ directory.

Good luck,
DW

>>> "vijay kumar" <vijcrjbhu at gmail.com> 7/22/2008 7:03 AM >>>
Dear List,

Thank you for your help.
Now I have downloaded Evergreen ILS packages and trying to proceed next.

I have a lot of question regarding the installation of
evergreen..........because I am new with UBUNTU
1>where Put all extracted file related to Evergreen

2>where put my extracted Evergreen folder

3> In  the address
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_evergreen_1.2_on_ubuntu_7.10
22nd stage
shall i write Allow from 127.0.0.0/16
                               or 127.0.0.1/06

shall i change ServerName eg-server:80 to ServerName  ip no.:80 0r
ServerName 127.0.0.1:80 or

I am not able to understand this line
        Change the two ServerAlias directives to something appropriate:
shall i also change ServerAlias 127.0.1.1:80     to
                           ServerAlias ip no.:80
before doing this apache is working properly and after this stage i am
not getting apache

4>Tell me sir, what is differenence between 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.0
and 127.0.1.1

5> Later some command is not working properly............I pasted some
screenshots related to Evergreen
Starting OpenSRF Router
Starting OpenSRF Perl
Can't locate Unix/Syslog.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /openils/lib/perl5
/etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8
/usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
/usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at
/openils/lib/perl5/OpenSRF/Utils/Logger.pm line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/openils/lib/perl5/OpenSRF/Utils/Logger.pm line 5.
Compilation failed in require at /openils/lib/perl5/OpenSRF/System.pm line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/openils/lib/perl5/OpenSRF/System.pm line 5.
Compilation failed in require.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
Starting OpenSRF C (host=vijay-desktop)

root at vijay-desktop:~# sudo -u opensrf ./autogen.sh
/openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml
sudo: ./autogen.sh: command not found

I think its very difficult to give answer at once
but please guide me

Thanks a lot,
Vijay Kumar
NCSI,IISc